Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Great British weather.

So, I don't think I'd be a true Brit if I didn't moan about the Great British weather. Well actually, not so great, particularly with the forecast of yet more snow this week. I honestly could not be any more depressed at this prospect. 


Have we not had enough? It's now March, and we're still being forecast cold spells as low as -8 degrees in some parts of the country. I shouldn't be defrosting my car a matter of weeks before Easter. It's absolute madness. 

When I was little, I used to love snow. We never used to have much of it and I'd dream of white Christmases, but now, we've had so much of it, it's become a nightmare. It disrupts our entire lives: schools close, work places close, the whole country comes to a stand still; not to mention that it is merely hours before it's shimmering beauty is a distant memory, and it's a dangerous, black sludge. 

Generally, I actually quite like winter. I love the idea of snuggling up in front of the fire, I don't mind the hat hair from woolly hats too much and I could quite easily live in oversized, cable knit jumpers all year round. However, this year, it's really depressing me. I don't know whether it's because we had about a weeks worth of summer weather last year, or whether it's the sheer amount of snow we've had this year, but something's different. 

There is scientific evidence to support Seasonal Affective Disorder, most commonly known as 'sad' syndrome, but I never thought much of it until now. Every morning I wake up and it's either white or wet outside, and I just don't want to leave my house. It's miserable and it's reflective of my mood, 'pathetic fallacy' if you will.  


However, Monday saw some sun. It wasn't a heat wave, but warm enough to sit outside of Costa, warm enough not to have a winter coat, warm enough to willingly leave the house; it was a Spring day. This truly lifted my mood. Okay, maybe the chinos, sunglasses and espadrilles were slightly premature, but it was just what I needed, a bit of light in my life. 

Now the British weather has never been great. It rains all the time, if we have sun, it lasts a matter of days and generally we're living under that one massive cloud in the sky, but we as Brits, stoically trundle on umbrellas and coats always on hand. I remember holidays in Cornwall or days at the beach in the rain. Holidays were spent playing board games in a caravan with the rain pelting its roof. However, it seems to be getting worse; the seasons just seem to merge into one cold, wet blur. 

So, brace yourself for the cold a bit longer, I for one will not be coming out of my house if it's white again, I will be hibernating until at least June. I will be holding out for when I can write a post, when I'm celebrating with this song.