Monday, March 18, 2013

Ugly babies, Transylvanian accents and happy-ever-after.

I love going to the cinema but often I miss a film I really want to see and have to wait until it comes out on DVD. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 was one of these films. 

I finally got round to watching it with some friends on Friday evening, and after it was voted as the worst picture of 2012 at the Razzie Awards last month, I wasn't exactly filled with confidence, and prepared myself to be disappointed. 

Now, I wasn't convinced by the ugly, martian-looking computer animated baby. 


The name Renesmee sucked.


The Transylvanian accents were a little dodgy to say the least. 

And it did have the clichéd happy-ever-after ending everyone predicted. 


I can honestly say however ... I loved it. 

It was epic, dramatic, humorous, unpredictable and what's not to love when you have Robert Pattinson's face and Taylor Lautner's body in one film. 

I'm by no means one of these obsessed fans; I will always be loyal to Harry Potter and the fact I waited over four months to see it demonstrates this. I was also quite late in getting involved with the whole Twilight Saga, in fact it wasn't till around the second film that I started watching them, and as much as I tried to restrain, I was instantly gripped by their creepy seduction. I couldn't put my finger on it. Quite frankly, not a busting lot actually happens in the first couple of films. It was the classic 'will they won't they scenario', with a vampire and a wolf thrown in for good measure but I was hooked. I  persevered knowing there was going to be a climax, and Breaking Dawn Part 2, did not disappoint.

I was even impressed by Kristen Stewart. Despite critics describing this as the worst acting role at the Razzies, I genuinely thought she was at her best. Throughout the other films, I thought she was grumpy and lacked personality but in this film she was jumping off cliffs, pulling out some serious Matrix style moves and genuinely became the star of the film. 

It was also refreshing to see the vampires and the wolves united for once. The love triangle of Edward-Bella-Jacob was getting boring, but this film saw a positive aftermath of its dispersion. It's always been Team Edward or Team Jacob, but viewers were no longer forced to choose; there was room to love both. 

Although we always knew Bella and Edward were going to live happy-ever-after, this wasn't to say there wasn't enough twists and turns on the way. The major twist at the end killed all of the good characters about twenty minutes from the end which was unexpected to say the least but thankfully, directors stuck to the book and managed to jump back in time so this never happened. 

Another pleasant surprise was the soundtrack. Have to say I'm not exactly a Christina Perri fan but A Thousand Years is beautiful and could not be more fitting to the film. 


The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 was action packed, full of stunts, and most importantly, despite the predictable ending, the journey to reach it kept me on edge. 

To say this was the worst film of 2012 seems slightly unfair. If this film stood alone, I'd be inclined to agree, but when placed in context of the four other films, this was the perfect climax. It had moved away from the stereotypical blood-sucking to a true love story. 

The finale in the Twilight Saga did not disappoint. The danger of being cheesy was outweighed by a great director and a great cast. 

For anyone who is as behind on the uptake as me, or maybe hasn't seen any of the films, they are definitely worth a watch so go out and get the box set.