Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A single moment in time.

So because I'm so dedicated to my job, this evening has been spent making the best 'love' playlist ever, in preparation for Valentine's day at work tomorrow; a playlist that money truly couldn't buy. 

It started out quite a tedious task, going through my iTunes hand picking all the most depressing songs for a singleton, but then I broadened my horizons, moving to the family CD collections, and as a result I have ended up with an eight hour playlist including anything from Plan B to Barry White ... what can I say, I hate to be predictable and I'm a crowd pleaser ...

More importantly however, this evening has meant listening to some of the greatest songs ever written (and some of the worst) with my Mum. We've been through a lot together, good and bad, and I owe her so much. Tonight we've rediscovered songs that have made up the soundtrack to our lives. 

It never fails to amaze me how a song can take you back to a single, frozen moment.  A moment that can never be recreated but remains untouched by time, untarnished by any memories before or after, a moment that is simply golden. The lyrics mean so much, the melody becomes so fitting ... our experiences define us, and these songs define our experiences. 

Tonight's evoked so many memories ... 

Many hilarious such as when my best friend got disastrously drunk and played this to a certain guy on her 18th Birthday in front of all of her friends and family ...


Many school memories which at the time, I didn't think I'd ever miss ...


Many memories a lot older, involving people who I unfortunately don't get to see much these days, but again, the memories remain and that's enough ...



And also many family memories. 

This in particular creates an overwhelming amount of emotions, but no matter what's happened and whatever happens in the future, I will always have these to hold dear. 


I've always been a Valentine's Day cynic but after something so simple jogging my memory, I know I'll never spend it alone and I have all the people in my life who I need. 

Thank you to my family and friends for simply being who they are, and thank you to all the musicians who although don't know it, have touched my life.