Monday, February 25, 2013

Back away Bowie ...


So it's been a whole decade since David Bowie last released any new music. This year however saw his 66th Birthday, and he marked this occasion with a new single, 'Where are we now?' This is to be followed by an album, Next Day, due to be released in early March. 

Now although, I wasn't even born when Bowie was at his peak, I'm still a fan. I love his eccentricity, his confident, androgynous style, but mostly his diverse range of music. He's truly a superstar and his three decade career is testimony to this.  

However, I'm disappointed to say his latest song didn't exactly grab my attention.


I was hoping that he would bring back a small part of those seventies and eighties parties for those of us who missed it, but there is no sign of quirky Ziggy Stardust, no fascinating, striking videos, no sign of energy, vibrancy or colour. All that's left is a grand piano, laboured lyrics and an overwhelming sense of tiredness. 

If this is a flavour for his new album, I doubt I'll be rushing to download it. It's slightly too comfortable, and if it wasn't for his distinctive vocals, it would simply have blended into a blurry backdrop of 'easy listening'. 

What happened to the legendary Jean Genie and Rebel Rebel? It's a sure certain fact I won't be putting on my red shoes and dancing the blues to this ...


I have a lot of respect for Bowie. He looks great for his age and his vocals are as strong as ever. To come back after ten years and at 66, I think is a brave and admirable move. I only hope he's making a come back for personal enjoyment, and if this is the case, I will continue to look on him fondly and say, 'fair play'. 

However, I can't help feeling it is an attempt to regain the success of his hey day. For me his reputation was enough. His songs have exceeded his career already, they're timeless and generation after generation will enjoy them. You only need to look at the popular BBC TV series Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes; these enjoyed great success, largely due to the soundtrack of which Bowie was a significant part. I'm slightly concerned his latest album may be the ink splash on his clean white page and I would hate for this to overshadow the legacy he has made for himself.

I will be interested to see the finished product when it's released, through loyalty if nothing else, but I personally will remember Bowie as the genius of the 70s and 80s: the catchy melodies, the synth sounds, the deep, narrative lyrics, the legend.