Sunday, February 10, 2013

'Jaffa Bakes'?

This is it. I'm putting the 85 year debate to bed ...

I'm saddened to confirm, that Jaffa Cakes ... are scientifically 'cakes'. 


Following a feeble attempt to finish a three foot long tube of them I got for Christmas and allowing them to go out of date, I now have empirical evidence to prove their 'cake' classification. 

Based on their name, this may sound like a ridiculous argument to some, primarily those who have a life, but I'll have you know, this is incredibly controversial and has been an on going debate amongst friends and family for years. 

In my opinion they were biscuits. They are the size of a biscuit, they look like a biscuit, and you wouldn't eat 6 or 7 'cakes' in one go, Jaffa Cakes however, like biscuits you quite easily fire down one after the other. 

However, it was often said Jaffa Cakes weren't hard enough to be classed as a biscuit given their sponge base, you can't dunk them in tea (tried and tested) and the integral difference when they go stale (cakes go hard/biscuits go soft) defines them.

Up until today, no Jaffa Cakes had ever been in the cupboard long enough to go stale, but  72 Jaffa Cakes proved a challenge for one person given the array of other Christmas food hanging around for weeks. For the record, I don't make a habit of eating out of date food, but on this occassion, there was scientific intent and I had a major craving for chocolate; I had no choice, it was for the good of Mankind ... 

From my experiment, I found my Jaffa Cakes went hard thus we can conclude that they are scientifically cakes. 

This debate was so important that in 1991, McVities actually went to court to prove their cake status for VAT purposes. Apparently, companies don't have to pay VAT on chocolate covered cakes but they do on chocolate covered biscuits ... weird I know. 

Despite this valid new piece of research however, I'm willing to believe it is an anomalous result and disagree with McVities. Until further evidence is brought forward, I'm proposing a 'bake' status.


'Jaffa Bakes': a biscuit type snack with a cake texture ... Sorted.