Thursday, February 7, 2013

One way ticket to Neverland please?

So it hit me recently, by the end of this year, I'll no longer be a teenager ...

I mean, I know after eighteen you're considered 'an adult', but let's be honest, none of us really take that term seriously. Twenty is scary. Two decades. A lot has happened in that time ...

When I turned eighteen, I decided I didn't really want to get any older so I've just been waiting for Peter Pan. I figured I could just chill with him and the Lost Boys in Neverland forever, but after a year of waiting, I'm starting to give up hope, that ship has definitely sailed ... Damn you Disney. 



There's a lot of things I miss from childhood: Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Kenan and Kel, Top of the Pops, 5ive, The Spice Girls ... but mainly the simplicity, the freedom and the carelessness. I didn't care what people thought, there was no goal at the end of everything, nothing happened for a reason; there was no pressure.

When I was little I just wished all of that away, I wanted to be a 'grown up', but when I compare it to today, I had it pretty good. I like to think I have grown up, left certain things behind me and I haven't completed my childhood in vain, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a trace of Steps in my iTunes to this day ...

We all had to grow up sometime; it's an inevitable cycle. It's easy to get wrapped up in the here and now and completely forget the innocence and naivety of childhood, but it determines where you are today. There will always be a shadow of a child inside of me, and I hope I never lose that no matter how old I get.