Thursday, February 28, 2013

Who would want Charles on their postage stamp?

My one claim to fame in life is that I once played rugby with Prince Harry ... 

Many of you won't believe me, mainly because the image of me playing rugby in your head is utterly ridiculous, but it's true okay. Back in 2003, he came to my school to do some coaching with young people. If you don't believe me here's the picture: 


Okay it's pretty small but that's me in the blue jumper and that tall ginger guy in the middle, I swear on my life is Prince Harry. I have this photo as an A4 print out if any of you need any further evidence ...

That's right, he came to that grotty little place called Aylesbury that everyone hates, so yeah, jealous? 

Now at this time, I didn't really take much notice of the Royal family but I found a lot of respect for this guy that day.  There were no diva moments, for two hours in the pouring rain, he played with a group of kids who didn't have a clue about rugby, got covered in mud, slipped over and laughed about it, and didn't care about his hair getting wet. He was genuinely such a nice guy. 

Ten years later, and the Royals are in the media much more regularly, what with the Jubilee last year, Prince William's engagement to Kate and now their baby on the way. It's sad Harry sort of gets over looked; he doesn't have a beautiful princess for a wife (although I'd be willing to fill that position given the opportunity), he's not next in line for the throne and if he is in the newspaper it's because he's dressed up as a Nazi or has got pretty drunk, but do you know what I say: 'fair play'. 

He's young, and represents his country in a much more important way like fighting in Afghanistan and his charity work. This has brought him to the news this week whilst in South Africa. He's touring all of the schools supporting his charity Sentebale. However, he doesn't just engage in a flying visit, have some photos taken and move on. No. He engages with the children, attempting to read Braille, watching them play football, dancing with them, and this is not the only charity he supports. 

The media can't seem to make a story without mentioning his Mother, but why can't they look at him in his own right.


He's down to Earth and I think he'd make a brilliant King of England. It's a shame he probably won't get the chance, not that I'm wishing the Queen, Charles or William dead or anything, more that they step down. William's not too bad but he's just not half as entertaining as Harry and he looks like his Dad already.  

I'd much rather have Harry on my postage stamps.